Monday 6 October 2014

The First Sickness



Saturday 27th (afternoon) ….
Upset stomach episode… Well I suppose it was to happen at some point. Mind you last season I did not get sick until February which is 6 months into the season. This year it has struck early, 4 weeks in to be exact. It’s a combination of lack of hygiene, the weather, poor diet and seer exhaustion. I can explain all three.

Lack of hygiene: I do have gloves for feeding and separate ones for picking poo and all the yucky jobs. Then disposable gloves for delicate jobs as separating dog meat and applying medicines and lotions. Hand sanitizer in the toilet and hand soap in the cabin. That is clear. But it’s the time between switching gloves and the gloves off gloves on that is the issue. I have to learn early – that it is important to not touch your face, not swip your dry lips;
not to rub your eyes. The hands and the face should not be friends during these times

Weather : Due to the constant rain fall – there is mud everywhere, sticking to everything and getting everywhere. Any dry day helps but at the end of the day the mud does not help when trying not to spread gems

Poor Diet: Oh I eat – that is for sure – but I need to go for the healthier options of multi grain bread instead of my favorite “Polar Bread” which I am sure is a mixer of SUGAR and flour – and that is just the start

Seer exhaustion: Don’t get me wrong when I work I work hard. However I am facing so many new situations in this job. Firstly I had a pretty lazy 3 months off before I arrived here. So physically I am not at my peak. Meeting new people. Learning to switch off when hearing ongoing Norwegian : ) Meeting and getting to know all the dogs. Learning new routines, new ways to work with the dogs. Learning to drive the dogs on a daily basis compared to once every 10 days (as per last season) Driving cars on the other side of the road. The colder weather – as I have come from a tropical north Queensland winter – which average I think about 24 degrees. In fact the over exposure to all these new things although exciting, has 
an unpleasant side effect. You are so focused on absorbing everything that you forget the most basic functions; and that in itself is frustrating.. 








No comments:

Post a Comment